Here's what they said:
1. "Number one evaluation effect for me is smell. If it’s a sour smell or disinfectant smell — red flag."
2. "Random, but if there's a fish tank, take a look at it. If it's clean, you can bet the kitchen is too."
3. "Dirty bathrooms and dirty floors equal dirty kitchen."
4. "A huge menu is a sign that food is either frozen, precooked, and reheated — or ingredients are not very fresh."
5. "Ex-chef here, but weirdly, the setting. I've found if a restaurant puts effort into the ambiance, it's normally an extension of their food. Not always, but it has been a pretty solid rule."