Just because we’re all at home following the rules to keep us healthy doesn’t mean we can’t catch up with friends over a few drinks. We need a happy hour now more than ever and thanks to technology, we can still have it. Ready to put the “social” into social distancing? These tips can help you throw a virtual cocktail party that’s almost as good as having one in-person.
- Step 1: Pick your platform- The most important part of a virtual cocktail party is the people, so choose your guests then decide how everyone is going to connect, on FaceTime, Skype, Google Hangouts, or Zoom.
- Step 2: Choose a cocktail- You can go with a classic, martinis or margaritas, or expand your palate with something new. Then share the recipe with your group so everyone can mix their drinks and sip together.
- Step 3: Set the scene- Figure out the best lighting for your virtual get together, assign one guest to play DJ for everyone so everyone can enjoy the music, and dust off your nicest glass to use for the occasion.
- Step 4: Get dressed- A costume change will help you get in the party mood and finally give you a reason to wear something other than leggings. You can go all out and put on a fancy dress or go glam like an old Hollywood starlet and slip on a luxurious robe. It’s not about how you look, but how it makes you feel, so if putting on makeup and doing your hair makes you happy, go for it.
- Step 5: Make a pantry-friendly snack- What’s a cocktail party without finger food? Whip up something tasty with whatever you have on hand - or don’t if you’re not feeling it, since you’ll be the only one there to eat it.
- Step 6: Enjoy yourself- Now it’s time to connect with the people you care about, so even if you didn’t do all the steps on this list and simply pour a glass of wine while wearing the same t-shirt you’ve had on for three days, go have a good time. You deserve it. Town and Country