Rachael Ray is finally opening up about how she and her family survived the fire that consumed her upstate New York home earlier this summer. She told Good Morning America she instinctively knew what to do to get out.
“A few minutes after we started the fire in the fireplace, a fellow came through the backyard screaming, ‘your roof's on fire,’” she said of the stranger who was riding by on an ATV at the time. “We ran outside and sure enough it was. By the time I'd gone upstairs to determine what we could save, I could hear the fire crackling through the walls and building and because of my work with the Denis Leary Firefighter [Foundation] and training over several years with actual first responders, I knew to leave immediately.”
Rachael, her husband, John Cusimano, and their dog were able to make it to safety. The fire was accidental, caused by an animal that had burrowed inside the chimney. She shared footage of the fire on the season premiere of The Rachael Ray Show.